I analyze macroeconomic issues from a fundamental perspective, and I analyze market behavior from a technical perspective. Original macroeconomic analysis can be found here and both macro analysis and commentary can be found on my Caps blog. If you like or appreciate my analysis, please add yourself to my Following List

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9 (Updated)

Update 3:50

Main indicator has bottomed, but needs one more 60 min candle to confirm. However, this is the last candle of the day. I am entering a trade on my Trend System, but as of right now it is unconfirmed. I wanted to enter it based on the buy signals from the secondary indicators.

--------------------------

Another day, another panic.

I am still not showing my micro-count because it is useless (as is any micro-count from anybody). If someone thinks they can predict the bottom of this panic wave based on a count they are deluding themselves. 1-2, 1-2, yadda, yadda is useless. This is one of those times where EW gives you no insight at all into the market behavior. Why?

Because this is a panic. This is an extremely volatile short burst move, and it will be over only when the fear burns itself out. Today looks like a likely candidate... But then again, so did Friday, and we dropped another 5% since that low.

End of mini-rant.

On the more useful side, my 60-min chart finally gave a divergence signal with the low today. I have one secondary indicator that gave a buy, and another one that is just about to do so. But my main indicator has not issued a buy yet. It has slowed significantly (slope is nearing zero from very negative) but not there yet. A strong up day tomorrow will likely trigger it.

The fact that I did get a divergence signal means that this cycle *can* be like a "normal" cycle (as I described here). Which means that we don't have a "spike bottom with no divergence" like we did in Sept and Oct 2008, and May 2010.

This means that I am not necessarily looking for lower lows once my cycle chart bottoms.

Like I said on Aug 3, if we got a bottom signal with *no* divergence with the indicators this oversold, the only 3 times that happened was Sept and Oct 2008 and May 2010 and all 3 times were accompanied by lower lows within the next week or so.

But in this case, we have divergence (which happens in 93% of cycles and subcycles) which means that this low could legitimately be the cycle low.

That is what I will be keeping my eye on in the coming couple of weeks. If we clear 118 without making a new low, then I think the downtrend is likely over and we are likely in a new uptrend.
blog comments powered by Disqus