I analyze macroeconomic issues from a fundamental perspective, and I analyze market behavior from a technical perspective. Original macroeconomic analysis can be found here and both macro analysis and commentary can be found on my Caps blog. If you like or appreciate my analysis, please add yourself to my Following List

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Financially My Dear I Don't Give a XLF

LOL! Holy Bad Puns Batman! Even I admit that was too far of a twist on the classic quote. But bad puns are about the only thing rattling around in binv's brain, so cut me some slack! :)

On Dec 20, I wrote this post: Do You Smell Something?

I stand by all of the big picture rhetoric that I was spewing:

I am very vocally bearish on financials for the long term. I think they are the cancer of the US economy. Monetary policy over the last 20 years have allowed for, encouraged in fact, the economy to become financially top heavy. I could go on a rant (and have many times in the past regarding financials) but I will not. I am very long term bearish, and I will leave it at that for the moment.

Here is my P2 count for financials. I think P2 is done for the sector. There is a possibility that the action the last 2 months was an X wave and now working on Z of P2. If this is the case, then I don't think it will make substantially higher highs. In fact I would expect it to make what amounts to a double top.


But I also added this tidbit and this chart:

But there is a difference in being long term bearish and recognizing the possibility for a near term upside move. So the way I am playing this: I am waiting for the move within silly season to run its course and will be establishing a long term short position in XLF probably in early January. This will be a "short it and forget it" type position.



So I would like to check in to see how the short term played out. Here is the count today:



Right on track. I had the termination of the Wave at the end of the year, but 1 week off during silly season isn't too bad.

The move is looking nearly complete. I think we will have a little bit of consolidation and then one more spike up to about 15.10 - 15.20.

That is the area where I will be putting some long term money down on some XLF shorts. And I will probably also play FAZ for a swing trade (2x and 3x vehicles are *never* investments. Making early calls like I have with Caps points and letting them run is one thing, but never with real money)

blog comments powered by Disqus